The IT Audit Advisory Manager position is responsible for day-to-day execution of engagement objectives on engagements. This role requires the ability to supervise teams of 2 – 8 staff members on multiple concurrent engagements to ensure they receive direction and resources in the event engagement issues arise. This requires a thorough understanding of the client’s industry (e.g. inventory / distribution, oil & gas, financial institutions) and pertinent regulations or the ability to learn an unfamiliar industry quickly and its relevant regulations. This position should have a thorough understanding of the interaction of systems and financial processes. Additional requirements involve managing engagement economics, managing client expectations, supervision of staff, technical review of deliverables, and the coordination of CPE requirements for staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Core Competency is the demonstrated ability to carry out the primary responsibilities of the job:
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of COBIT, COSO and related concepts.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the business operations and supporting information systems.
- Capable of planning, executing and delivering complex, non-recurring engagements with limited oversight.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of applications and IT general controls including security administration, program change management, program development, and computer operations.
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding of professional standards, regulations, and best practices and their relevance to IT Advisory Services.
- Provide feedback on performance to members within the Firm’s reporting process, monitors CPE needs and requests specialized training for staff.
- Prepares client ready deliverables that require few content changes by Senior Managers and Partners.
- Responsible for assisting and actively participating in the development of departmental training, methodology and tools.
- Assist in preparation of proposals.
- Monitor engagement progress against client expectations.
- Ownership of billing responsibilities and engagement administration for all engagements as requested by partners.
- Expanded involvement in firm and service line administrative duties as requested.
- Develop advanced knowledge in an industry or technical niche area.
- Responsible for ensuring engagement staff follow up on open items and issues and that engagement deliverables are completed timely.
- Demonstrate the ability to build networks of contacts and to identify opportunities for cross selling Firm services to clients by focusing on client service skills and building strong relationships with clients.
- Take a leadership role directed to staff and clients in directing engagements by actively managing the engagement responsibilities, which includes drafting engagement letters, providing status to the client and/or engagement team as appropriate, managing actual hours incurred versus budgeted hours, and billing clients.
- Plan multiple concurrent client engagements including scheduling, deploying of resources and exhibits effective project management.
- Assist and mentor staff, actively cultivating an environment that challenges, encourages, and fosters learning.
- Demonstrate the ability to plan, perform, and deliver work independently with limited supervision on large complex engagements.
- Supervise staff on multiple concurrent engagements.
- Monitor and supervise progress of staff, where applicable, in all engagement phases; provide performance feedback when needed.
- Perform a review of the work prepared by others for coverage, completeness, accuracy, and technical proficiency.
- Effectively delegate tasks to facilitate professional development and efficient utilization of firm resources.
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding of information technology processes IT department operations.
- Work closely with all experienced team members to identify and resolve issues encountered in completing engagement objectives through effective and timely communication.
- Consistently take ownership of assigned engagement objectives and demonstrate the ability to plan multiple concurrent engagements while maintaining the department staff schedule.
- Keep team members apprised of engagement and scheduling issues on a timely basis.
- Work with direct report manager to develop an appropriate plan of professional development, professional reading, and CPE, and take responsibility to ensure that plan is achieved.
- Establish and maintain a good working relationship and demonstrate effective communication with client personnel at appropriate levels.
- Maintain appropriate professionalism in client and team interactions.
- Responsible for ensuring that deliverables and work papers produced by team members are clear and concise and comply with firm standards.
- Identify and develop budget and deadline considerations and strive for adherence.
- Adhere to the Firm’s policies and procedures, core values, demonstrate their importance to others, and provide input to management on suggested modifications to Firm policies and procedures as necessary.
- Be familiar with and adhere to relevant ethical requirements of the AICPA, contained in the Code of Professional Conduct, the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy, and the Texas Society of CPA’s in discharging their professional responsibilities.
- Understand and adhere to rules, regulations, and code of professional conduct as stipulated by the Institute of Internal Auditors and / or the Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA).
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Science, Accounting, Finance, or related field.
- Masters degree or further education in information systems auditing preferred.
- Masters degree in Accounting, Business, Finance, or related field is preferred.
- CISA or CISSP (preferably), CIA or CPA.
- 5 to 10 + years or more equivalent experience (public accounting / external audit, internal audit, information technology and/or staff accountant responsibilities).
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Team orientation and strong interpersonal skills.
- Basic familiarity with GAAP, GAAS and IIA standards.
- Proficient at Microsoft Office product suite.
- Knowledge of IT controls and how they affect the control environment. COBIT, COSO, and related standards preferred.
- Comprehensive understanding of Sarbanes Oxley Section 404, and the role that information technology plays in compliance.
- Comprehensive understanding of systems infrastructure and security, connectivity, remote access, and data mining.
- Thorough understanding of financial reporting, transaction cycles and business processes.
- Comprehensive understanding of fundamental layers of information systems including network infrastructure, computer operating systems, database management systems, and computer applications.